Birthplace of the most important and earliest Mesoamerican Civilization - the mighty Olmecs - Tabasco was also extremely important for classic Maya trade and later for transatlantic shipments; and now the largest oil capital of Mexico. Striking archaeological discoveries in Comalcalco shatter our history known today. The Centla Biosphere Reserve and cocoa plantations feed the world with the finest chocolate; endemic to this amazing region. Programs are tailored to satisfy endless cultural interests in this fascinating region.
Things to See and Do
In the City and Suburbs:
- La Venta archaeological park, displaying original Olmec sculptures and a small zoo
- Boat rides on Laguna Encantada
- Famous Tabascan cuisine with turkey soup, gatorfish, pozol etc.
- Fabulous ancient cities such as Comalcalco and La Venta
- Centla Swamps Biosphere Reserve
- Cocoa Plantations for chocolate production
- Beautiful beaches